Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Curiosity of a child

I have to share a funny conversation that I had with my eight year old niece, Lexie, on Christmas Eve during dinner.
Lexie looks over at me and asks in a serious manner, "Can you put kids on KSL?" I started laughing because I though..."hmmm, which sibling does she want to get rid of?" I also thought that her mom and dad sure must sell a lot of things on KSL Classifieds online for her to know about it. When I finally stopped laughing, I told her that you couldn't put kids on KSL. Lexie then asked what do parents do when they don't want their kids. I replied that most parents want and love their children. She sat there for a second and then said, "Well, what about the kids that are adopted?"

Okay, now I understood where this little eight year old mind was going. I thought...hmmm, how much do I tell her about foster care, parents terminating their rights, etc. which is basically what I deal with in my job. I thought that it would be best to leave it simple. I explained to her that sometimes parents cannot take care of their kids and so the kids are placed with a family who love and care for them until they can be adopted by a family who will love them forever.

It was an interesting conversation which started out as a good laugh and ended up being a good little teaching moment.

1 comment:

keri said...

That was funny! Oh the things children think of...